Young Critics Program 2022
World Cinema Carnival proudly announces an open call for entries for the inaugural edition of Young Critics Program, the annual workshop for aspiring moving images critics, taking place during the Cinema Carnival (January 28 – February 06).
This program is open to all applicants across the world.
The entire program will be hosted online.
The Young Critics program nurtures promising writers & thinkers and provides a valuable platform to launch their writing careers. The program seeks to challenge the mainstream critique culture and emphasize the importance of diversity in the world of film criticism, supporting and nurturing perspectives from lenses of
race, background, gender, ethnicity and sexual orientations to remain expansive and all-inclusive.
Featuring panel discussions with festival guests and workshops with film journalists, editors, publicists and other industry experts, the program is designed to introduce future film critics to the international film industry.
In addition to this workshop dimension, participants have the opportunity of publishing articles and producing unconventional critiques in an alternative manner about the Festival program in the journal section of “SPHERE”.
Thus, participants can expand their skills through press coverage of the current edition of the Carnival, writing reviews of officially selected films, articles from side events, in-depth reflection and interviews on various sections of the guests.
- The World Cinema Carnival Young Critics Program is open to applicants between the ages of 18 to 30 years (as of 1st December 2021). Proof of age would be required.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome.
- Applications will be accepted in English; we expect the applicant’s knowledge and proficiency in the language in all formats of communication.
- A completed submission to the Young Critics Program consists of a duly filled online submission form. Incomplete applications will not be considered for selection. All mandatory fields need to be filled by the applicant.
- The entire program will be conducted in English as well. Expressions can be done in other languages with mandatory English subtitles.
- Application to the programme does not guarantee selection to the Program.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified about selection at the end of the selection process and no information will be divulged before that.
- Any instance of plagiarism will result in strict action and immediate disqualification from the Program.
- WCC will not provide feedback on applications or specific reasons for rejection for any applicant.
- There will be no winner selected or award handed out for this edition of the program. All participants will receive certificates of participation and a Letter of Recommendation in the future, if required, on special grounds.
- Participation in the program is independent of attending the World Cinema Carnival and include digital festival accreditation.
- Selected candidates will be eligible for all access to screenings and events.
- The dates of the program will be announced soon, the dates will be in between the carnival dates. Selected applicants are required to attend each and every session of the lab. Not attending any session will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Attending the introductory sessions of the Young Critics Program is compulsory.
- Each applicant is allowed to submit only one entry. In case multiple entries are made by the same candidate, we will only take into consideration the first entry made by the applicant.
- WCC conducts thorough checks for plagiarism for each entry received. Any
applicant found having plagiarised content in their application will be immediately disqualified.
- All selected candidates will be required to sign a release form.
- Candidates who are selected for the Program are expected to maintain
professional decorum at all times. Any breach of the same will result in immediate disqualification.
- The program director reserves the right to settle all cases not covered by the guidelines and to grant exceptions in special cases. All cases will be governed by and construed in all respects in accordance with the laws of India and settled under the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Kolkata.
Alongside the form, these documents are mandatory to submit in the following format.
- A basic, one-page resumé.
- Three articles or film reviews, written in English. The critic should refrain from including lengthy academic papers or other scholarly materials that may not give an accurate reflection of the applicant’s capacity to succeed in this workshop. We would also accept anything that is not produced in the conventional criticism format whether in video or any other medium.
- One sample of another writer’s piece of critical writing that the critic finds particularly compelling, intelligent, or provocative, with a short paragraph explaining why.
- An approximately 500-word statement of intent/motivation. Tell us about your background and why you would make an ideal candidate for the Young Critics Program. Make sure to note any particular interests (genres, national cinemas, etc.)
Expectations and Outcomes:
- Press Accreditation of the festival.
- Certificate of Participation.
- Letter of Recommendation, if required (within the two consecutive years).
- Three days of intensive workshops and Masterclass with senior critics, film journalists and other industry professionals and participation in Festival talks and events. WCC aims at making selected Young Critics Program fully integral to the festival and lets them participate in the delivery of the daily festival curriculum. You will together form a team, hosted by the WCC festival Editorial/ Programming team.
- Produce the works in the most challenging and unconventional way of criticism in the moving image.
Passion, strong writing skills, and deep knowledge of film history matter more than overall professional experience.
Completed submissions to the Young Critics Program consist of a well-completed online submission form that contains all the required information. The deadline for submitting entries to the program must be strictly observed. The entry deadline is January 14, 2022 – 11:59 PM IST (no further extension).
World Cinema Carnival is committed to fostering the next generation of filmmakers, critics, and industry professionals working in the world of cinema. With academies during the World Cinema Carnival and throughout the year, WCC builds new audiences and continues to advance the world’s vibrant film culture mostly in the experimental genre. The inaugural edition of this program is not funded and is completely managed by the World Cinema Carnival team on a voluntary basis. We expect mutual respect and commitment from your end to make this Program a success. For all any queries and concerns, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.